Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Playlist

A few weeks ago, I asked for running playlist suggestions.  I needed 4.5 hours, which would include a warmup.  Here's the list I used for CIM, with some notes

Fire - Jimi Hendrix
Uprising - Muse
   One of my top five favorite running songs. In an odd coincidence, in the week leading to CIM, I heard each of my top five favorites in various places that I did not control. This makes me crank up my car radio every time.

Goody Two Shoes - Adam Ant
I Disappear - Metallica
   from Mission: Impossible II, I think

Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon
Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm
4 Minutes - Glee Cast
   yes, I like Glee.  It's not plausible and the plots and characterizations are wildly inconsistent. But I am at heart a singer and would have loved to be in this type of group growing up.

I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
A Little Less Conversation - Elvis Presley
This is How a Heart Breaks - Rob Thomas
  this was the NBA's theme during the playoffs in 2005, when San Antonio, my favorite team, beat Detroit. Through an amazing stroke of luck, I was at the game where Robert Horry sank the three-pointer in the final minute to beat Detroit. So now this song is on almost every running or exercise playlist I have.

How Far We've Come - Matchbox Twenty
Give Up the Funk - Glee Cast
The Club - In the Heights Company
   buy this cast album, please

You Can't Stop the Beat - movie cast of Hairspray
   I love the movie Hairspray.  How do you not?

Gonna Fly Now - theme from Rocky
Jai Ho - from Slumdog Millionaire
Keeps Gettin' Better - Christina Aguilera
Stronger - Kanye West
Pop - NSYNC
   No jokes, please. It's a good song.

Harder to Breathe - Maroon 5
The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels Band
Let it Rock - Kevin Rudolf
Here I Come - The Roots
   I need to listen to The Roots more often. This song kicks.

Raise Your Glass - P!nk
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' - Michael Jackson
Valerie - Glee Cast
   This is a cover of an Amy Winehouse song, and I didn't really know any of her music except Rehab. So sad she cannot share more of this with us.

Something to Believe In - Parachute
   One of the aforementioned top five favorites. Some of the lyrics:
   "Keep my head from going down. Just for a little. Just for a little.  Watch my feet float off the ground. Just for a little. Just for a little."

Sing - My Chemical Romance
   Third of the five favorites. Great anthem.
   "Sing it for the boys, sing it for the girls
     every time you that you lose it sing it for the world
     Sing it from the heart
     Sing it till you're nuts
     Sing it out for the words that'll hate your guts
     Sing it for the death
     Sing it for the blind
     Sing about everyone that you left behind
     Sing it for the world"

Show Me How You Burlesque - Christina Aguilera
   Movie was hokey. Soundtrack was fantastic.

River Deep, Mountain High - Glee Cast
   One more reason to love Glee - they pull out some gems. This song was first recorded by Ike and Tina Turner.

Lubbock or Leave It - Dixie Chicks
Got to Get You Into My Life - Earth Wind & Fire
   Disco in the middle of the race, when I'm just looking to distract my head a bit

Forget You - Cee Lo Green
Crazy in Love - Beyonce
Closer to the Edge - 30 Seconds to Mars
   Fourth of the five favorite songs.

Born This Way - Lady Gaga
The Anthem - Good Charlotte
Evacuate the Dancefloor - Cascada
I Don't Dance - from HSM 2
Boogie Wonderland - Earth Wind & Fire
Ain't No Other Man - Christina Aguilera
Ring of Fire - Social Distortion
   Thanks to Brad for introducing me to this version during spin class

Where Them Girls At - David Guetta, Nicki Minaj
Not Ready to Make Nice - Dixie Chicks
   the only slow-paced song on my playlist. It doesn't need to be fast - the song and the reason they wrote it still makes me mad six years later.

The Power Is On - The Go! Team
   You've seen the NFL Play 60 commercials with the Carolina Panthers and the kids on the bus?  This is the song.

I Would Die 4 U - Prince and the Revolution
The Way I Are - Timbaland
Here It Goes Again - Ok Go
   the video for this song is four guys on eight treadmills. Great video, great song for running.

Pull Me Under - Dream Theater
   I have loved this song since it came out in 1993. However, it was the one song that made me want to skip over it during the race, because it hit right at the time when my quads and calves were screaming and I really struggled. Hearing a song that repeats the phrase "Pull Me Under" for 8 minutes wasn't helpful.

I Need a Doctor - Dr. Dre and Eminem
   So when Pull Me Under was over and this came on, I did laugh.

Paris (Ooh La La) - Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
The Love You Save - Jackson 5
Empire State of Mind - Jay Z and Alicia Keys
SexyBack - Justin Timberlake
You Make the Rain Fall - Kevin Rudolf and Flo Rida
Bleed It Out - Linkin Park
Cooler Than Me - Mike Posner
I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) - Pitbull
Lose Yourself - Eminem
  the fifth of the five favorite songs. I have a lot of issues with his music, but this song is fantastic.

Take Your Mama - Scissor Sisters
Finale - In The Heights company
  I had a silly fantasy during my training runs that I would hear this song at the finish. The first two minutes are slow and dialogue-heavy, but the last part makes me so happy every time I hear it. The show is about community, friends who become family and about our hero's decision to go back to what he has always considered home. But he realizes that his home and his people are right there. My father loves this song and says it reminds him of growing up in New York in the 40s. So it's my song for my dad.
   During CIM, it came on with 0.3 mile to go :-)

Vertigo - U2
I Sing the Body Electric - movie cast of Fame
   The song and movie that I saw at age 11 that made me want to sing. Based on the Walt Whitman poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words of Wisdom